Sunday, November 19, 2017

The opposite of gratitude, maybe it's exhaustion

Gratitude. No small thing. Here's my latest thought on Gratitude:
My attitudes fluctuates. And I say I can control them, but really.... I have to choose it. I have to just do it. Practice it. Until it starts to become automatic. It is never really a cut and dry victory in my life. Because, you know, life.

Lately I am overwhelmed. By the terrifying new things in my life. By the vast amount of responsibility I have at home, at school, personally. I am living on the edge. Just one more responsibility away from falling off the edge of the cliff. Into a deep abyss. Some people at my house are already falling. I reach for them, sometimes with a degree of success. Sometimes they drift on by. Panic ensues. I am always just one breathe away from panic.

What does that do to my gratitude list? Let's be honest. Some days I'm too exhausted to look for the gratitude. Somedays I am too strung out to find it when I look. But when I don't choose it, I start to lose it. And spiraling down a dark, dark rabbit hole without gratitude is hopeless. I need more hope. Not less. I need my circle of friends to surround me and be my family.

Family. Those crazy people who shaped who I am today. I need some form of family in my life. Maybe not the flesh and blood kind. But the kind that will love unconditionally. Accept us when we fall short, which is every day.

Right now, today, all I know is pressure. Pressure not to be needy. Pressure to be strong. Pressure to "make" my child conform to someone else's norms. Pressure.
Looking for a soft place to fall. Lick my wounds. And get ready to fly. No. More. Pressure.

4 comments:

  1. ahhh life, the constant struggle. You're so right - you have to purposefully choose gratitude over and over and over, I hear you. I'm glad you have this outlet on your blog so then we can all read and tell you how awesome you are. May those words relieve a little pressure for you today, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. That is the same thing I think about you. You are so awesome. Glad you're in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember that others have been there before you. If you need a friend to vent to or a shoulder to cry on. I'll try not to say anything stupid! Sending all my good thoughts and prayers for strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And remember that others have made it through this fire and lived to be your friend!

      Delete