Wednesday, March 16, 2022

A day in the life....

I don't really have a grip on farm living yet. We've been here for about a year and a half. But in my mind and if there were a logical bone in my body, in my logical side (I do have doubts that this exists), farm life begins at dawn. Or before. It begins in the moments before the sun graces us with it's presence, as I remember those times in childhood, sitting at my grandparent's table, waiting for my uncle to come in with the milk and the sky was still gray. But I am learning a lot! And a slice of the pie that is my life is filled with learning and gaining more independence. 

I culled my first chicken yesterday. It was not as difficult as I anticipated. In fact, I didn't cry at all. She was one of our "original" chicks, two years old, and definitely a pet. Two years ago, when the world shut down, we got baby chicks, and she is part of that. She was the last one of those originals. It was Raven. My beautiful Raven, and to be more precise, I got two chicks that day and one was a golden comet that I named Goldie Hawn, and the other was a black sex link that I named "That's so Raven." 

Epsom salt foot bath for the bumblefoot. It was too late though, she was losing her toes. *sadness*

   We, the Punky and I, got our laundry drying rack installed in spite of the fact that the back room is still just a project to be completed. I don't know long it will be before it looks like anything other than a nightmare, so we are choosing to live in the nightmare. 
The reason it looks like a bed frame is because it is!! It's a metal frame for a toddler bed. Attached to the wall on one end and hung with electrical wire at the other end. One day soon, it will be full of Lula Roe since I own more pairs that I dare count from the ole teaching days.
This is not really a "farm life" thing, but a Carrie-thing. I took my new handmade cards to therapy, so I can humbly brag on myself in a safe space and my therapist is buying three of them! Booyah! 
1. I've always gnome you were the coolest... 2. Owl be there for you 3. Way to go gnomie! Proud of you! 4. Owl be there 4 ewe....
And then there is this! This is why I bought a house that is wrecked inside! The view. More specifically, the sunsets. 
The truth is, this photo couldn't even come close to capturing the magnificent coloring of the western sky at twilight. And no photo can actually do justice to the peace and serenity that descends upon the land at the sun drops below the horizon. 
There it is. A snapshot of a day in the life of this budding farmer.
Head on over to Two Writing Teachers to read all the slices. Scroll down to the comments and there are LOTS of links to well-written Slices of Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment