Monday, March 21, 2022

More adventures of the Hippie Chick Farm


 Enter day two of Spring. Today I have projects to finish. But it is rainy and wet and I am not looking forward to them in the damp Spring air. Yesterday I only partly finished some projects and I just prayed that no predators would get into the barn and get my crested polish chickens or my geese. It would have to be a LARGE and crazed predator to attempt the geese, who are bullies in their own right. But I can't just depend on dumb luck and prayer to keep my birds safe. And I'm soft, I cry when they get attacked and disappear. I know my so-called farm is not much to my "real" farmer friends. But these are the tasks that make me say, yes, it's a farm and yes, I am a farmer, just on a different (smaller) scale than my farmer friends. It is probably technically just a homestead, but I did, in fact, name our place The Hippie Chick Farm. So therefore it must be a farm. of sorts.       

My Punky constructed this for the geese. I got the structure secured on the sides, now to get the gap covered in chicken wire. 

"The Octagon Pen." Where the 3 Polish spent the night.

Here they are all settled in for night. 



2 comments:

  1. This sure looks like a farm to me! I don't know anyone who has geese and so I am curious about their needs, food, predators????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I replied yesterday, oops. Geese are dirty, so room to move about and if possible, room to roam will minimize the mess in one space. They need water to mate. When I let mine out of the pen they head to the kiddie pool in the yard. I feed mine the same "all flock" feed that I feed my chickens and ducks. When they get to free range, they don't eat much feed. Predators.... I don't honestly know. I have some BIG hawks around here and one bald eagle I've seen consistently, but I think the geese are too big for them. I would say in central Kansas geese would have to worry about some big dogs (mine is scared of them), coyotes and bobcats/mountain lions. I haven't really heard of mountain lions where I live, but as close as 40-50 miles from here I know there have been some sightings.

      Delete