Friday, March 11, 2022

The mystery of grief

 When sadness descends

and envelops me 

wrapping me in a blanket of melancholy.

My heart grows heavy 

my mind grows weary.

Sorrow

like the weather 

is an ever changing entity.

Somedays it roars,

howls, and rages.

Other days it clings to me

like a scared and weepy child.

Somedays it is subtle,

and I barely notice it, 

but for the gray that filters out the sun.

Grief,

that strange beast,

is not growing smaller

nor quieter.

It seems 

it is gaining in size and strength.

The frequency of it's visits 

and the intensity of it's outbursts

a mystery,

hidden until 

it is already upon me.

-Carrie 

Yesterday I wrote of the day Dad left us. Today I am caught up in the unpredictability of grief and the sadness that encompasses me. 



2 comments:

  1. My posts have been similar to yours lately. I hope you find strength in the therapy of writing out your feelings. Your poem is beautiful and describes the emotions and feelings of grief perfectly. Sending positive thoughts to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'the unpresictability of grief' catches up with us all. But as Dory said, "Just keep swimming." :-)

    ReplyDelete