Friday, March 8, 2024

Goats are never boring

 As I retold this story yesterday, the comment back was, "Yeah, but it's a good story to tell!" And I decided "Why not?" And here we go.... 

First of all, I know on some level that I'm weird. But I swear, all us small-time pet-farm people are a little left of center. Seriously. But I always talk to the animals. Whoever talks to me first when I come out the door is who I talk back to. So as I walk out to feed my animals the other night, I am greeted by the "mmmmaaaaaaahhhh" of the goats as I open the door, and I automatically respond in kind. And I look up, I see the neighbor in the yard looking strangely at me. Turns out, our neighbors were over to work on a fence they are building us (out of the goodness of their hearts I might add). I was surprised and a little bit embarrassed, but I cheerfully say, "Hey there, How's it going?" The other neighbor says, "terrible.... I mean, the fence is going good, but the goats took the keys to our little buggy and we can't find them!" "The goats did what?!" I say. So he explains that the keys to their utv little 4 wheel vehicle were in the ignition and now they are missing. I start to panic. 1) goats eat everything, and 2) we have a particular goat that is the poster child for sentiment number 1. She eats EVERYTHING. And she'll pester you to death for whatever is in your hands. I have started to feed her the junk mail just to keep the rest of the mail (and my shirt) safe until we get inside! The kiddo is napping inside so I call her and tell her to come help look as we wander around the yard looking for these keys, all I keep thinking is, "How will we even find them? Do they poop them out? Goats poop pellets, will we have to get her x-rayed? Will she need surgery?" I bring it up to the neighbor... "she really might have eaten them" and we keep walking and looking at the ground. Finally, the sleepyhead emerges from the house. She chuckles at the thought of the goats stealing the keys. I am not chuckling at this moment. I am thinking.... "someday we'll look back on this and laugh" I just didn't know it would be in the direct/near future. Kiddo has only been outside for a minute or two and she yells, "Found them!" and sure enough, she found them. They were behind the seat in the vehicle. Whew! I exhale a big sigh of relief. 

About now the ducks yell at me, " 'wack, 'wack, 'wack, 'wack...." (They usually drop the Q part of the qu sound when they talk to me). So I respond back in kind. Don't we all do that? 

This is a utv I found on the internet. It's not exactly what the neighbors is like, but it gives a general idea of what I am talking about. 
If you want to read more "Slices of Life", click on the orange slice. The Slice of Life Challenge happens every March and the challenge is to blog everyday and post it to the Two Writing Teachers daily Slice of Life post in the comment section. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment