Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A ray of hope

Today the sun shone down and embraced us with lovely warmth and light. The light and warmth of Spring. In this glorious sun, during morning recess, I look over at a usually ambitious little learner. He is not looking ambitious. He is not necessarily smitten with the sunshine. He looks sad and forlorn. I call him over ask what the matter is. He says his stomach hurts. I asked if he wanted to sit with me. He did. He put his precious little head on my chest and just took in all the love I could give him. He did not want to pick up his head. You know how some students tolerate affection because you are the teacher and they might secretly like it, but they wouldn't want their friends to see! This was not situation. Finally I said, "are you sad?" "yeah...." I prompt a little, "...about our school?" "yeah." "Me too buddy. Me too...."

And so we sit and soak up the warmth of the sun and grieve together. Just being together is comforting. It gives us a ray of hope.
This is today's slice of life. Join the challenge or read what others have shared at Two Writing Teacher's blog.

** Our school board voted to close our school the other night. We are a small school, project-based, and a very, very close little school community.

3 comments:

  1. It is good to be able to comfort and be comforted. I imagine it is hard to see your close knit school close. I am sorry. This is something you will grieve together and manage to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I am so sorry about the closing of your school. This is my favorite piece of your slice--And so we sit and soak up the warmth of the sun and grieve together. Just being together is comforting. It gives us a ray of hope.

    Even in a difficult situation, you are providing warmth to each other. It doesn't get better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little guy. It's so good you could just sit there in the sadness with him.

    ReplyDelete