Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Reflecting on sibling relationships

Every day I sit here and mull over the millions of things I could write about and none of them make the grade. Almost every day my blog starts out with "I don't know where to start..." or "My mind is blank." Or some similar phrase. I tell myself that you, dear reader, don't need to know this. That you will just pick up where I come up with something and it will seem "normal" and just were it needs to start. But when I do that, just pick a place and start, the writing falls short, hollow. I can tell you that it is all in my head, and I do somewhat believe that, but when I go back and re-read what I wrote, forcing myself to stop my driveling and pick and point and start, I lose interest. The writing really does seem to fall flat.

Today I saw a million things that I could write about. But the one that warmed my heart, was watching my girls be siblings, playing together and putting aside the age difference to appreciate each other and enjoy their time together. My girls, eight years apart in age, so many light years different, and yet, at times, bonded, woven together by the thread of family. In these moments I realize that blood really is thicker than water, that my children are forever meshed together.  Today I witnessed my girls get along, be friends, and treat each other with care and consideration. From the moment that they chose to start running and exploring to the moment when they walked hand in hand up the stairs, this Momma watched in awe and with a heart full of love, running over, full of peace and happiness. Tomorrow this moment may be history, but today, I will revel in the glory of my little family and I will thank God for the bond of sisterhood. I will dwell on this memory as the day winds down. I will end this day feeling the serenity that enveloped us today. I will enjoy this while it lasts, cherishing the moment that will disappear too soon; this rare moment in time, this rose among thorns, jewel among stones. Tonight I rest in fullness that comes from having enough. This family, it is enough.

2 comments:

  1. Your Slice is beautiful! I could feel your joy. My sister is my best friend. If this moment disappears, you'll still have this Slice to remember it, share it, and prove that it did happen, and it can happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sister 9 years older than me and another sister 14 years older than me. We've always been close despite the gap in ages. I used to spend part of every summer with my oldest sister and my nieces and nephews. I still love nothing better than a long phone chat with either one of my sisters. So glad this moment happened for you today.

    ReplyDelete