Monday, March 2, 2015

My focus


What I focus on increases. *sigh* What? Goodness and light will not somehow flood my thoughts while I wallow in pity and gloom and doom? Truth. Every day when I talk with my child I think of this and every day when I interact with students I am reminded of this. I cannot overcome and improve and be the best me that I can be if I continue to focus on my shortcomings or on circumstances outside of my control.

Today I will....

  • Live my best life
  • give all I have to give
  • be responsible for my actions
  • be responsible for my emotions 
  • focus on the good 
  • overcome the bad, sad and negative
  • remember that it is a practice to have joy, not a feeling
Okay. I'll stop there. Already it is a tall order. I am a worrier by nature. I am one who frets. Look up fret in the dictionary and there could easily be a photo of me. But today I choose to focus on the good things in this day. The joy in the ordinary. 

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate this.
    I get this more than you know.
    I too am choosing to look for the good when life feels like I'm in the middle of rocky seas at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list - it's a fun way of reading this piece. And it seems it takes so much energy to do one of those bullet points, so good for you for working on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days it is a real battle to focus on the good - but so worth it in the end. I have been practicing this for several years - it gets easier with time. Keep going.... I enjoyed your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful list of "to do's" for today! Sounds like you are living your best life - and I so appreciate your ability to translate your commitment to your children (both at home and at school)! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete