Sunday, March 22, 2015

Gratitude

Focusing on Gratitude. I have to say.... I have a lot to be grateful for. Sometimes I forget how much I have to be grateful for. Then it is time for a gratitude list. So today I will remember the things I have to be grateful for.

I am grateful for my recovery today. I know that in my life, recovery is more than just sobriety. It is about sober living in all areas of my life. When I quit drinking, I really believed that it was true that following steps and doing step-work was just a suggestion. Ha! It IS a suggestion. But if you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you are getting! So as long as I continued crazy thought patterns, selfish behaviors, living in chaos.... my life improved only marginally. After years of running on the same hamster wheel, never making any real progress, I finally got miserable enough to start taking suggestions. I started working steps and listening to a sponsor. Little by little, things started to change. My life is not perfect. But my life is improving constantly and consistently. There are areas of my life that are still a shambles. But I have gone back to school and gotten my teaching license, I am making payments on a beautiful HOME for us, I have a running vehicle. I have some debt. Medical debts. But as a general rule, I don't go out and spend extremely and randomly. Today I have the ability to parent my children. I have the ability to think things through, talk to my children and teach them and listen to their questions. For this I am grateful.

Today I am grateful for Spring Break. I love the warmth and sunshine. I love the break, the chance to renew my spirit. I love sleeping in and living on my own timeline and schedule.

I am so grateful that I am a teacher. The teaching profession is really taking a beating right now, and I am even considering changing careers. But I love the kids, I love it when they "get it" and when I can see the growth. I even love writing lesson plans and getting excited about what I teach. I love shaping little minds and expanding knowledge. I love building trust.

These are the things I am grateful for today. This is a slice of my life today.

5 comments:

  1. So much to be grateful for. Recovery is quite the journey and taking each day at a time is so important. Enjoy this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your moving gratitude list. It's so important to stop and take the time to notice all the wonderful things in our lives and way too easy to focus on the negatives. I appreciated your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfulness is the beginning of everything for me. I am really happy that you have a good life with your family and t h e kiddos at school. XO nsnc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfulness is the beginning of everything for me. I am really happy that you have a good life with your family and t h e kiddos at school. XO nsnc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget how much I have to be grateful for sometimes!

    ReplyDelete