Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Joy in the ordinary

Today's slice of life...

Today was somewhat of an ordinary day. This detracts from grandiosity and breath-taking moments in all their splendor. Today wasn't full of "Wow" moments or miracles. Today was full enough with ordinary moments.... a student who succeeded by finding that missing assignment, celebrating a friend as she muddles through her pain, snow.... but not enough for a snow day, staying late for an iep meeting, meeting up with a friend, and striving to protect my children from themselves (they are their own worst enemies, as well as each other's worst enemy). This was my day. I had zero moments that screamed at me, good or bad. I have no moments that say I was a hero today. But I also had no moments where I was a zero today. I drove on snow-packed roads, but not scary-bad roads. I hugged some kids, but not in a creepy way. I pushed some students today (not physically, no worries), but not to their breaking point. I was stern, I cajoled, I encouraged. This is ordinary life. This is real. It keeps me busy, it makes me tired. Day after day after day.

Tomorrow I will do it again. I'll love some kids, mine and yours. I'll push through my pain. I'll smile and laugh and forget that pain. I'll embrace joy. This is a reward in itself. And today, this is enough.

1 comment:

  1. You do a great job of illustrating your moments! I appreciate the reminder of our ordinary lives-the unseasoned and unpunctuated days that often become the extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete