Saturday, March 7, 2015

I've Got a Blank Space Baby....

Here I sit with this blank space looming. Sometimes (many times) I just start typing in almost a gibberish style, whatever floats in. Just to get rid of the blank space. Then the "real writing" starts at some point after that. I saw a picture on social media that said, "If you are good at art, you are an artist! If you are not good at art, you are an artist!" That is sort of how I feel about writing. I don't know if I am a good writer. But I am writer. Writing is cathartic. It lets me use that vocabulary that I can't use in everyday conversation (who says cathartic anyway?). Writing brings peace. Writing brings clarity. It clears my mind, which is often filled with the fog and smoke of too many things on my mind to think clearly. Those are few of the things I love about writing. I love the sound of my voice when I write. And yes, I love that opportunity to "use big words" but I also love that I write like I speak. A direct contradiction? Maybe. Because my writing sometimes uses too many "Ands..." "alsos" "buts" and that is because I type it like I say it. I so often just add on to the end of the sentence with an and, or a but, and I write in a way I encourage students not to. My writer voice is not always grammatically correct. But neither is my speaking voice. So I woke up this morning and realized that I did not slice yesterday, I wanted to jump in and get started today, and then that blank space was looming. Today my writing epiphany is this: When I write really well, I am a writer. When I write poorly, I am a writer.

I heart writing.
This is my slice of life for the Slice of Life 30 day challenge. Read about it and join the fun.

6 comments:

  1. My favorite writing always has voice. It is what I also strive for. Writing works it out somehow in my live. People don't really understand unless they do...write that is. xo nanc PS Good cheer in your recovery also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...glad to see you posting on the slice. I kind of took a break after October...on the Tuesday one. Anyway...your writing has good flow...easy to read...understand, and feel. Writing is cathartic...at least for me. I like your ending...I am a writer! Yes you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raising my hand as one who says "cathartic." I use that word often w/ students. I tend to think of writing as a journey, and I tell students to think about the circularity and symmetry of narrative, even when I teach argument. I recently read "Minds Made for Stories" by Tom Newkirk; it was very gratifying in that Newkirk's argument fits my paradigm of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might say cathartic talking to other educated peers, but since I teach mostly primary students, I seldom (if ever) use cathartic in the classroom.

      Delete
  4. You are a writer. It's part of who you are because you see it in a way that is special. I love the way you talk about vocabulary. The word cathartic is great. I don't think I have ever used it in speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was attending our Professional Development Day this past week and the focus was writing. The speaker asked us to raise our hands if we felt we were writers. I was amazed that only about half the hands in the room went up. Perhaps she should have said, not necessarily "good" writers, just writers in general:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on being a writer.

    ReplyDelete